- 1/4 cup olive oil (or your favourite)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon, each, sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium celeriac, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, dill or mint
- 1 head butter lettuce, washed and leaves separated
- 2 heads endive, washed and leaves separated
- 1/2 fennel bulb, washed and thinly sliced
- blue cheese and walnuts (optional)
For the dressing, in a screw-top jar combine oil, lemon juice, mustard, salt, and pepper. Cover and shake well.
In a large bowl combine endive and butterhead lettuce. Add three-fourths of the dressing; toss to coat. Divide mixture among salad plates.
In the same bowl, combine apple, red onion, celery root, herbs and fennel. Toss with remaining dressing to coat. Divide evenly over greens. Or get creative by adding blue cheese and walnuts or serve as a shaved slaw with herbs without the lettuce, as shown above.
Related Stories & Recipes
Although celeriac is a knobbly, alien-like root, its flavour is phenomenal. It has a gentle celery taste and when cooked and blended with stock, makes for a delicious, creamy bisque.